So I ordered the Riksack from Stomaworks here the other week and I just wanted to show you what it was. The below picture is the bag my stoma nurse gave me from Fittleworth I believe that holds all my bits and bobs for a bag change in the house.
The blue bucket type thing is the Riksack itself it’s made of silicone and can bend and fold for easy storage/travel. It is really easy to use:
- you attach a disposable bag to the press studs on the outside of the bucket (at a push pedal bin bags will work)
- you adjust the straps around your waist and clip it in place
- change your appliance as usual straight into the Riksack
- remove the Riksack and dispose of the bag as usual
That’s it! Pretty simple right?
I like the fact all my bits can fit in it quite nicely and it doesn’t take up much space. It’s also colour coordinated which amuses me, what can I say? It really is the little things that amuse me from time to time.
On a more serious note the things I like are:
- the fact that when I have the Riksack on I don’t have to worry in case I have forgotten something and I need to dash back to a different room
- I don’t have to worry about my stoma suddenly thinking the fresh air is a signal to start moving things along shall we say?
- Also if I need to change and someone is in the bathroom I can change my appliance anywhere
There is literally only one thing I didn’t think it worked well for and that was if I had had a leak, whether that’s due to me being in a flap when it happens or if getting the Riksack ready takes too much time.
Overall I found it to be a really good product and I will recommend it to new ostomates, those wanting a bit extra security or even those with extra health needs that may find it takes longer to change their bag.